Shanghai COVID Lockdown
This morning’s update regarding Shanghai COVID lockdown restrictions:
- PVG airport closed from today until April 1. PVG is the main international airport for Shanghai. Hongqiao airport will close from April 1 through 5. Hongqiao is mostly for China Domestic Flights and Inter-Asia flights.
- All Shanghai area factories will be closed. Most factories are not in Shanghai area, but are located outside the area surrounding Shanghai, in Jiangsu/Anhui/Zehjiang Provinces. But the major problem is that the factories outside of Shanghai cannot deliver freight to Shanghai Ocean Ports because trucks are not allowed to enter Shanghai area. Cargo now can only be shipped from these Provinces by either trucking to Ningbo or using river feeder ports to get to Shanghai Loading Ports (Waigaoqiao and Yangshan).
Direct Translation from official Chinese Document sent locally, as follows:
Traffic Control Notice
At present, the latest situation of Shanghai terminals, airports and port areas.
- After the efforts of SIPG, each truck fleet and driver:
After coordinating with relevant departments, it is now known that before 24:00 on March 28, the driver of the truck can pass by presenting the current task and the negative nucleic acid report within 48 hours with the “Shanghai Port EIR APP”. However, some on-site execution may be delayed, please actively cooperate with the truck driver and fully understand.
- The pick-up points and return yards around Yangshan Port Area and Waigangqiao Port Area are partially open and will be closed on the evening of March 28.
- All the warehouses in Pudong New Area are open for operation all day today, arranging packing and entering the port. The operation of picking up and returning empty containers shall be carried out quickly according to the current actual situation during the emergency confirmation with each Pudong yard.
- Yangshan Port Area and Waigaoqiao Port Area will work all day and will not be closed.
- The drivers of each team have successively received phone calls from their neighborhood committees that they will all return to their residences for nucleic acid testing after work is over today.
- Drivers who have left Shanghai to pack boxes will rest in place according to the instructions of each team, and will return to Shanghai after further notice from the team.
- At present, I have received feedback from the driver who left Shanghai in the front, and they can enter and pack boxes in various places and abide by the epidemic prevention policies of various places. The driver’s door is sealed, and the driver cannot get out of the car.
- The airport warehouse is currently receiving goods normally, and the airline cargo terminal is being closed one after another. We will wait for further notice.
Shanghai locks down as COVID surges in China’s financial hub
Excerpted from Reuters.com
SHANGHAI, March 28 (Reuters) – China’s financial hub of Shanghai launched a two-stage lockdown of its 26 million residents on Monday, closing bridges and tunnels and restricting highway traffic in a scramble to contain surging COVID-19 cases.
The snap lockdown, announced by the local government late on Sunday, will split China’s most populous city roughly along the Huangpu River for nine days to allow for “staggered” testing by healthcare workers in white hazmat suits.
It is the biggest COVID-related disruption to hit Shanghai, and sent prices of commodities including oil and copper lower on fears that any further curbs could hurt demand in China, the world’s second-largest economy. Read more.